SAFEGUARDING POLICY for children and young people
This updated SAFEGUARDING POLICY statement was adopted by Knowle Parochial Church Council (PCC) on 26th February 2020.
Bishop’s Safeguarding Adviser: call 07342 993 844; email StephH@cofebirmingham.com
Parish Safeguarding Coordinator for children and young people: call 07875 576 897
[Printable version – Safeguarding-policy_Ch-YP]
Knowle PCC recognises the need to safeguard the children and young people in our care and guard against the possibility of any form of abuse of children and young people by persons who may be acting in the name of our parish. We aim to create a safe environment for the nurture and development of children and young people, in order for them to feel valued and confident to ask for support and help. We will create policies and procedures that uphold the importance of our responsibility to protect and safeguard the welfare of children and young people entrusted to our care. A Parish Safeguarding Co-ordinator has been appointed to ensure the implementation of this policy.
1. We commit to providing a safe physical environment for work with children and young people.
2. We recognize that everyone has different levels of vulnerability and that each of us may be regarded as vulnerable at some time in our lives.
3. We commit ourselves to the safeguarding of all children and young people, particularly those who may be vulnerable, ensuring their well-being in the life of this church. All leaders involved in Children’s work and/or Youth work at KPC are required to read and adhere to our stated ‘KPC ways of working with Children and Young People’. This outlines the practical implementation of the KPC safeguarding policy for children and young people and is closely aligned to the Church of England Birmingham guidelines.
4. We commit ourselves to promoting safe practice by those in positions of trust.
5. We commit to informing the whole church community about our safeguarding policy and procedures and recognise that it is the responsibility of each of us to prevent and report abuse that we discover or suspect.
6. We will ensure the children and young people in our care know who they can talk to if they have any concerns.
7. We recognise our responsibility to always respond to and report abuse in whatever context, inside or outside the church environment and will always listen to and take seriously any child or young person who reports that they have been abused
8. We will always report allegations of abuse and concerns about a child or young person who is experiencing or at risk of abuse in accordance with our procedures.
9. We will always report all allegations of abuse against clergy, staff or volunteers to the appropriate statutory agency and to the Bishop’s Safeguarding Adviser and co-operate with any investigation
10. We will keep securely all records in relation to safeguarding concerns, allegations and the recruitment of volunteers and paid workers.
11. We commit to the safe recruitment of all new and current clergy, staff or volunteers who have contact with children and young people.
12. We will assess all new and current clergy, staff or volunteer roles and, in every case where the role is deemed to be eligible, apply for an appropriate level criminal record check every five years.
13. We commit to providing every clergy, staff or volunteer with clear instructions and information in respect of their role, adequate resources and support and regular opportunities for review.
14. We will ensure that all clergy, staff or volunteers working directly with children and young people or those who are in a trusted role attend Church of England safeguarding training every three years.
15. We will inform the Bishop’s Safeguarding Adviser, and ensure appropriate supervision, of anyone who is known to have offended against a child or young person who attends activities organised by the Parish Church Council of Knowle Parish Church and will follow all recommendations of the Bishop’s Safeguarding Adviser in this regard.
16. We require all regular hirers of our premises to have their own safeguarding policy and procedures, to provide us with an assurance that these are implemented and to provide us with a copy.
17. Private hirers of our premises must pay due regard to the safety and well-being of children and young people and accept full responsibility for those in their care.
18. The parish adopts the policy and practice guidance of The Church of England and The Church of England – Birmingham
19. The policy will be reviewed each year to monitor its effectiveness.
20. We will review our safeguarding policy annually to ensure that it meets all current legislation, House of Bishop’s and The Church of England – Birmingham policies and practice guidance
21. Each person who works with children and young people will agree to abide by these recommendations and the guidelines established by this church.
22. This policy applies to all trips, visits and events organised on behalf of Knowle Parish Church.
Ruth Lancaster is appointed to represent the concerns and views of vulnerable people at our meetings and to outside bodies as the parish safeguarding co-ordinator for children/young people.
Sarah Covington and Gareth Roberts-Davies are appointed as parish identity verifiers to process online Disclosure and Barring Service applications.
Incumbent: Rev Geoff Lanham
Churchwarden: Matthew Baggott
Churchwarden: William Wilson