Youth Assistant job opportunity at Knowle Parish Church
Alternatively, print this printable form, fill in the answers, then post it to: Rev Matt Simpson, Knowle Parish Church, 1717 High Street, Knowle, Solihull, B93 0LN.
Knowle Parish Church is a large Anglican Church in Birmingham Diocese. It places significant value in its youth and children’s work as young people and families have found Jesus Christ and grown in faith.
There is a thriving programme involving young people on Sundays and throughout the week.
The Youth Assistant post will involve both upfront work with young people as well as individual and small group work to further the process of growth in faith. The job requires both work with young people as well as the forging of good relationships with the adults in the volunteer teams and the parents of the young people. The post is a full-time role where the training is gained both by learning from the practice of the Youth Minister as well as the breadth of ministry in the youth team. The Church will also fund training and conferences as agreed with the Youth Minister, Vicar and Treasurer.
This post is an opportunity to develop skills in youth ministry under the guidance of an experienced Youth Minister, in the context of a well-resourced, vibrant and supportive church community.
To reach out to and disciple young people from school year 7 to 13 in the Knowle community and nearby locality.
The Youth Assistant will be accountable to the Youth Minister.
To assist the youth team in the delivery of structured programmes for specific age groups to enable young people’s growth in Christian faith and life.
- Assist the good running of the Sunday groups for young people and to learn from that work.
- Assist in the coordinating of, and the ministry of, the midweek young people’s activities.
- Have input into the youth services.
- Assist in arranging, as appropriate, special events during the year. This will form a significant part of the duties of this post as we seek a post holder with event experience.
- Assist in church activities outside of the youth team (for example, children’s team, church cafes and other church events) with prior agreement with line manager.
- Contribute to maintaining the links with Arden Academy, Knowle Academy and other local schools.
- Contribute to the links with other youth groups in the community as possible and appropriate.
- Always working in compliance with health and safety, child protection, and drugs policies, protecting the welfare of young people when in the young people’s groups.
- Young people
- Volunteer team leaders and helpers
- Local secondary school students and staff
- Staff team including the Clergy
The Churchwardens and PCC are of course committed in their support of the ministry amongst young people.
It is expected that the individual will keep alive and growing their own personal faith and walk with Jesus Christ. The modelling of personal prayer, faith and Christian living is an important part of communicating the relevance and truth of Christian faith to young people today.
Skills and Attributes
- Enthusiasm to share in and learn more about youth work
- Biblically-based disciple of Jesus willing to grow in own faith journey
- Good communication skills with young people and some understanding of age appropriate teaching/activities
- Ability to share in leadership of the volunteer teams
- Ready to take direction from the Youth Minister
- Team work with staff and clergy
- Flexibility to work with other teams outside of the youth team
- Previous experience of church-based youth work
- Confidence in supporting young people in an academic context
- Due to the current make-up of our staff team, we are particularly interested in applications from female candidates
This post is expected to be for a duration of 3 years, the first 6 months of which forms a probationary period, after which 3 months’ notice is required on either side.
This is a full-time post of thirty-seven and a half hours per week. Hours will be discussed to cover key youth events and some administrative duties. As activities take place outside school hours this is not a standard ‘9 to 5’ job. We aim to run a sustainable youth work here in Knowle and we take appropriate time off alongside working anti-social hours. Hours will include Sundays. You will have Saturdays off (unless you are required to work and take time off in lieu) and another day off will be agreed during the week.
The employer is the Parochial Church Council (PCC) of the Ecclesiastical Parish of Knowle, Solihull.
Total package (excluding pension) from £16,000 – £20,000 (dependent on qualifications and experience). The post is subject to enrolment in the pension scheme, to which the church currently contributes 2% of qualifying earnings and 3% from 6th April 2019.
Holidays – twenty-five days plus eight statutory bank and public holidays (or time in lieu).
Start date: August/September 2018.
The closing date for applications is 11th July 2018. Interviews will be held on 16th July 2018.
A Genuine Occupational Requirement applies in terms of the Employment Equality (Religion or Belief) Regulations 2003, that the appointee to this post should be an evangelical Christian with a firm faith.