Assistant Children’s Minister
- To work 20 hours per week, accountable to the Children’s Minister
- Preferred start date: 1 September 2021
- Competitive salary of £9,000 – £11,000 dependent on experience
- Pension contributions, 100 hours (25 days full-time equivalent) annual leave (plus 8 national Holidays)
Use this application form. The completed form, with an accompanying email – indicating why you are applying for the job – should be emailed to the Operations Manager, Helen Allen (email@example.com) with ‘Job Application’ in the subject line.
About Knowle Parish Church (KPC)
KPC is a large, vibrant and forward-looking Anglican church led by our Vicar, Geoff Lanham. We are passionate about sharing the good news and love of Jesus Christ with the community and developing our ministry and mission.
As well as a Vicar, we have two Readers, a part time Music Minister, an Operations Manager and three part time office staff and around 200 regular committed volunteers. Previously we have had a full time Youth Minister and a full time Children’s Minister, and full time Assistants in both teams. Having recognised the need to invest in capacity and innovation with families, the full time Assistant Children’s Minister post is being replaced with a part time Children and Families Missioner and a part time Assistant Children’s Minister. A full time Curate will be joining us in June 2021 and we are in the process of appointing an Associate Vicar to work with the Youth and Children’s teams to strengthen the ethos of KPC as a multigeneration whole church family.
Sunday mornings are a central part of the children’s ministry at KPC. All the children are together for the first ten minutes of the service after which we divide into five age-phased groups using age appropriate and relevant materials to teach our children. We have an excellent relationship with Knowle C of E Primary Academy which openly maintains a Christian ethos and children are immersed in that atmosphere during every school day (see www.knowle.solihull.sch.uk). The Children’s Minister is currently Chair of the Governors at the school. We run three lunch clubs during the week, which have become ‘cell groups’ for the children. There is a church led Collective Worship in both Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2 each week and throughout the year the children are involved in leading and joining with various services in church to celebrate the different Christian festivals across the year. Most children don’t attend Church regularly, so we run a programme of social and seasonal events at Church and invite the children and their families. Our aim is to bridge the gap between what we do in school and Church life. We want to invest more into discipling our Church children and encourage parents and carers to be the primary influencers of their children’s faith.
In January 2021 we began a monthly All-In service, which is designed for all ages. Everyone starts together for a short service and this is followed by people choosing different ways in which to respond to what they have heard, for example through worship or by being creative. For the moment this has had to happen on-line but we’re looking forward to the time when it can happen in person.
- To reach out to, and disciple, primary school age children in Knowle and the nearby locality.
- Assist the Children’s Minster in the delivery of structured programmes for specific age groups to enable children’s growth in Christian faith and life and to take responsibility for areas of work within the overall programme
- Assist the good running of the Sunday morning groups for children and to take leadership of a part of that work
- Assist in the coordination of, and the ministry of, the midweek children’s activities, with a view to taking a lead in this work
- Have an input into the planning and delivery of special events and services during the year, taking responsibility for some of these
- Have an input into the planning and delivery of All-In services and theme slots for the main church service
- Contribute to maintaining the links with Knowle C of E Primary Academy and collective worship there
- Assist in compliance with Health and Safety, Child Protection and protecting the welfare of children when in the Children’s groups.
- To be involved in the encouragement and support of the volunteer teams
- Attending staff prayers, staff lunches and church prayer meetings (where possible within available hours). Assist in the preparation of children’s ministry material for the newssheet, social media, website and magazine.
- Be supportive of strategies of baptism, children and communion before confirmation, and confirmation, being practised by the church here.
- To support and assist the clergy and other staff as necessary, recognising that we are all part of one team
- Having a clear personal Christian faith* and growing personal discipleship. The modelling of personal prayer, faith and Christian living is an important part of communicating the relevance and truth of Christian faith to children today.
- A developed understanding of the Bible as God’s word; source of our knowledge and understanding of Him
- Gifts and experience in leading children to faith and enabling them to grow as Christians
- Good communication skills with children and an understanding of age appropriate teaching/activities
- Good IT skills and an ability to adapt to new technology
- The potential to manage teams of volunteers
- Positive about involvement with the wider Anglican church
- An enjoyment of large churches, for there are both strengths to enjoy and weaknesses to overcome or guard against
- The confidence to lead plus enthusiasm and humility to learn
- Prepared to take direction from the Children’s Minister
- Prepared to put time and energy into staff team building
This is a part-time position of 20 hours per week, with a salary of £9,000 – £11,000 depending on experience. When the hours will be worked is to be agreed with the Children’s Minister, but it will involve working some hours on Sundays when children’s groups and our All-In service take place. The post is subject to a 6 month probationary period and includes enrolment in KPC pension scheme after 3 months.
The Assistant Children’s Minister is entitled to the equivalent of 25 days holiday, plus 8 statutory bank and public holidays (or time off in lieu). This will be converted to 100 hours per calendar year and a statutory bank and public holiday entitlement of 32 hours per calendar year, making 132 hours in total for the 12 months. No more than 6 Sundays may be taken as holidays. Holidays are to be taken during school holidays (which include half terms) unless by exceptional arrangement
An application for a DBS certificate will be submitted in the event of the individual being offered the position.
If you would like to have a conversation about this role, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Further information about KPC is available on our website www.kpc.org.uk.
- Closing date for applications: 5pm, 4 June 2021
- Interviews at Knowle Parish Church: 24 June 2021
- Starting date (preferred): 1 September 2021
*A Genuine Occupational Requirement applies in terms of the Employment Equality (Religion or Belief) Regulations 2003, that the appointee to this post should be an evangelical Christian with a firm faith.