Assistant Youth Minister
- Full time position, accountable to the Youth Minister
- Preferred start date: 1 September 2021
- Competitive salary of £17,000 – £21,000 dependent on experience
- Pension contributions, 25 Days annual leave (plus 8 national Holidays)
Use this application form. The completed form, with an accompanying email – indicating why you are applying for the job – should be emailed to Helen Allen (firstname.lastname@example.org) with ‘Job Application’ in the subject line.
About Knowle Parish Church (KPC)
KPC is a large, vibrant and forward-looking Anglican church led by our Vicar, Geoff Lanham. We are passionate about sharing the good news and love of Jesus Christ with the community and developing our ministry and mission.
As well as a Vicar, we have two Readers, a part time Music Minister, an Operations Manager and three part time office staff and around 200 regular committed volunteers. Previously we have had a full time Youth Minister and a full time Children’s Minister, and full time Assistants in both teams. Having recognised the need to invest in capacity and innovation with families, the full time Assistant Children’s Minister post is being replaced with a part time Children and Families Missioner and a part time Assistant Children’s Minister. A full time Curate will be joining us in June 2021 and we are in the process of appointing an Associate Vicar to work with the Youth and Children’s teams to strengthen the ethos of KPC as a multigeneration whole church family.
Our aim is to encourage our young people to have a personal relationship with God and develop their faith, believing this will enable them to flourish beyond their time in school and give them spiritual security and certainty as they go off to university or other opportunities. We run a variety of regular activities during the week, including: Sunday morning Youth Alpha, Sunday evening Youth Services, four discipleship groups, a young leaders training group and regular youth worship team band practices. Other occasional events include mission trips, movie nights, skating, bowling, BBQs, Balls, etc.
In September 2019 we opened Penny’s Youth Café in the centre of Knowle. All young people (aged 11 – 21) receive a warm welcome and can enjoy great drinks and delicious cakes. It operates as a drop in café from 3.30 – 5.20pm four days a week, and is also where discipleship and Sunday youth groups are held. During the Covid-19 lockdowns we continued to engage with young people from the church and local community through activities like Penny’s Gone Wild where we ran outdoor events for specific year groups in a socially-distanced Covid-secure marquee.
The students from Arden Academy, where most of our young people are educated, attend Church for worship twice a year (September & December). We also support school pastoral needs by mentoring students who are struggling to engage with their education. Our hope is to see the Church youth group grow spiritually and numerically by supporting and encouraging our current young people to reach out to their peers. The KPC Youth Ministry is made possible through the additional support of volunteer youth leaders who share a passion for the discipleship, outreach and leadership development of our young people.
- To reach out and disciple young people from school years 7 – 13 in Knowle and the nearby locality.
- Assist the Youth Minister in the delivery of structured programmes for specific age groups to enable young people’s growth in Christian faith and life, and to take responsibility for areas of work within the overall programme
- Assist in the running of the Sunday groups for young people and to learn from that work, taking a lead in part of this work.
- Assist in the coordination, and the ministry of, the midweek young people’s activities, taking a lead in part of this work.
- Have an input into the planning and delivery of the Sunday evening Youth services
- Assist in arranging and delivering , as appropriate, special events during the year, taking a lead in part of this work.
- Support the Penny’s Youth Café team for four afternoons of the week, and with agreement assist with church activities outside of the youth team.
- Be responsible for communication with parents and Young People, including social media.
- Contribute to maintaining the links with Arden Academy, Knowle Academy and other local schools.
- Contribute to the links with other Youth groups in the community as possible and appropriate.
- Always working in compliance with Health and Safety, Child Protection, and Drugs policies, protecting the welfare of Young People when in the Young People’s groups.
- Assist in the preparation of Youth Ministry material for the newssheet, social media, website and magazine.
- Attending staff prayers, staff lunches and church prayer meetings.
- Support and assist the clergy and other staff as necessary, recognising that we are all part of one team.
- Having a clear personal Christian faith* and growing personal discipleship. The modelling of personal prayer, faith and Christian living is an important part of communicating the relevance and truth of Christian faith to young people today.
- A good biblical basis of faith
- Good communication skills with young people and an understanding of age appropriate teaching/activities
- Good IT skills and an ability to adapt to new technology
- Experience in using social media
- The potential to think strategically
- The potential to manage teams of volunteers
- Positive about involvement with the wider Anglican church
- An enjoyment of large churches, for there are both strengths to enjoy and weaknesses to overcome or guard against
- The confidence to lead plus enthusiasm and humility to learn
- Prepared to take direction from the Youth Minister
- Prepared to put time and energy into staff team building
This is a full-time position of 37.5 hours per week, with a salary of £17,000 – £21,000 depending on experience. It is a 5 day a week post, with Sunday being a working day. As activities take place outside school hours it is not a standard ‘9 to 5’ job. It is expected that normally Fridays and Saturdays will be the days off each week. The post is subject to a 6 month probationary period and includes enrolment in KPC pension scheme after 3 months.
The Assistant Youth Minister is entitled to 25 days holiday, plus 8 statutory bank and public holidays (or time off in lieu). Of the 25 days, no more than 6 Sundays may be taken as holidays. Holidays are to be taken during school holidays (which include half terms) unless by exceptional arrangement.
An application for a DBS certificate will be submitted in the event of the individual being offered the position.
If you would like to have a conversation about this exciting new role, please email email@example.com
- Closing date for applications: 5pm, 4 June 2021
- Interviews at Knowle Parish Church: 23 June 2021
- Starting date (preferred): 1 September 2021
*A Genuine Occupational Requirement applies in terms of the Employment Equality (Religion or Belief) Regulations 2003, that the appointee to this post should be an evangelical Christian with a firm faith.