KPC Safeguarding Policy
At Knowle Parish Church we are committed to safeguarding children, young people and adults.
Our policy is set out below – [Printable version – KPC Safeguarding policy]
In line with the Church of England Safeguarding Policy, our church is committed to:
- Promoting a safer environment and culture.
- Safely recruiting and supporting all those with any responsibility related to children, young people and vulnerable adults within the church.
- Responding promptly to every safeguarding concern or allegation.
- Caring pastorally for victims/survivors of abuse and other affected persons.
- Caring pastorally for those who are the subject of concerns or allegations of abuse and other affected persons.
- Responding to those that may pose a present risk to others.
As a church we follow the guidelines set out in the Parish Safeguarding Handbook.
Parish Safeguarding Coordinator: Ruth Lancaster (07875 576899)
Bishop’s Safeguarding Adviser: Steph Haynes (07342 993844) StephH@cofebirmingham.com
Although particular people bear formal responsibility for safeguarding, as detailed in our safeguarding policy and the guidelines which we follow, everyone at Knowle Parish Church has a part to play in keeping one another safe and protecting others from harm.
- Create a safe and caring place for all.
- Have a named Parish Safeguarding Co-ordinator (PSC) to work with the incumbent and the PCC to implement policy and procedures.
- Safely recruit, train and support all those with any responsibility for children, young people and adults to have the confidence and skills to recognise and respond to abuse.
- Ensure that there is appropriate insurance cover for all activities involving children and adults undertaken in the name of the parish.
- Display in church premises and on the Parish website the details of who to contact if there are safeguarding concerns or support needs.
- Listen to and take seriously all those who disclose abuse.
- Take steps to protect children and adults when a safeguarding concern of any kind arises, following House of Bishops guidance, including notifying the Bishop’s Safeguarding Adviser (BSA) and statutory agencies immediately.
- Offer support to victims/survivors of abuse regardless of the type of abuse, when or where it occurred.
- Care for and monitor any member of the church community who may pose a risk to children and adults whilst maintaining appropriate confidentiality and the safety of all parties.
- Ensure that health and safety policy, procedures and risk assessments are in place and that these are reviewed annually.
- Review the implementation of the Safeguarding Policy, Procedures and Practices at least annually.
Each person who works within this church community will agree to abide by this policy and the guidelines established by this church.
Knowle Parochial Church Council (KPCC) agreed at a meeting held on 24th February 2021 to adopt the House of Bishop’s safeguarding policy, Promoting a Safer Church 2017, and all of the accompanying safeguarding practice guidance and The Church of England – Birmingham’s procedures for their implementation.
This church appoints Ruth Lancaster as the Parish Safeguarding Co-ordinator.
Incumbent: Geoff Lanham
Churchwardens: Matthew Baggott and Elizabeth Welton
Date: 24th February 2021